If you have been searching for hair remedies, you’re sure to have stumbled upon coconut oil. If you decide to be a detective about the topic of coconut oil, you are likely to face oils labelled ‘virgin’ and ‘extra virgin’.
I am sure you have wondered what these oils are.
This article is meant for you if you are still confused about these two types of coconut oils and their uses.
We will discuss how virgin coconut oil helps hair growth and later in the article you can find our recommendations.
What Makes Virgin Coconut Oil Different from Normal One?
There are differences between both kinds of oils, but how different are they, and why so?
We try to find out by looking at the different properties of the oils.
- Method of Extraction and Magnitude of Refining: The underlying difference between both oils is because of the different methods of extraction adopted and therefore, the amount of refining.
- Refined coconut oil is made from copra (which is made after drying the coconut in the sun). The copra is pressed and oil is extracted. This oil is bleached and deodorized. Normal coconut oil is labelled ‘refined’ or ‘bleached’ and ‘deodorized’ also.
- Virgin coconut oil is called unrefined coconut oil. Oil is extracted naturally, without making use of any artificial process or chemical. One example of such natural extraction is by isolating the coconut meat and cold pressing it.
- Boiling Point and Colour: Normal coconut oil has a higher boiling point. Normal coconut oil has a slight yellow colour.
- Smell: Virgin coconut oil has a sweet smell and has the flavour of a coconut whereas the normal oil is scentless and flavourless.
- Cost: Virgin coconut oil generally has more antioxidants and are more expensive.
- Shelf Life: Virgin coconut oil has a longer shelf life as the extraction process happens in the absence of heat.
Pro Tip: If you want to differentiate between both oils, hold it in your hand. If it is in a liquid form, it is virgin and if in solid, it is refined.
How Virgin Coconut Oil Helps Hair Growth
“Virgin coconut oil! Virgin coconut oil!” What is the hullabaloo about?
It is about its many wonderful qualities which result in better hair treatment than ever.
Let us look at some of its most prominent benefits.
- The Penetration Effect: Studies show that coconut oil penetrates the hair shaft more than mineral oils. Therefore, it protects the hair shaft from swelling and shrinking.It also protects the hair shaft from impurities. It aids hair growth by increasing blood circulation to the scalp.Do you know what happens as a result of this? This process will active your Hair follicles and thus, the growth begins!
- Soothing Effect: A massage with virgin coconut oil is bound to be as good as a day at the spa. You can also add other oils to it, such as lavender oil, for wonderful scalp massages.This cools the scalp, prevents scalp sweat and produces a relaxing effect. People with scalp allergies also make use of this advantage of the oil. All in all, it acts as a scalp doctor.
- Anti-fungal and Anti-bacterial Properties: What is tiny but can be a handful to deal with? Yes, lice, nits, and dandruff!Virgin coconut oil’s antifungal properties make it a hot choice for fighting dandruff. For this, you can do a massage for five minutes and then leave it overnight with a shower cap to cover it.In the morning, you should shampoo it off and repeat the process thrice per week. Anti-microbial and anti-bacterial properties of virgin coconut oil provide protection against head lice.The oil suffocates headlice and because of its moisturizing effect, it immobilizes head lice. You can comb the lice out after some time.
- As a Leave-in conditioner and Washout conditioner: A leave-in conditioner is when you can apply it to your hair and not have to wash it off. You can apply virgin coconut oil on your wet hair and leave it as such. This keeps hair detangled and shiny. A washout conditioner is when you apply it to your hair and wash it off later.If your hair is fine, use it as a conditioner before washing your hair. If you have coarse hair, you can use it as a washout conditioner, as a leave-in conditioner or as an oil serum.
Best Virgin Coconut Oil Reviews
We have had a lot of the theory. It’s time to get hold of some of the best virgin coconut oils for hair growth.
HairOilPro has made a market study and narrowed down to three popular choices. You can find our thoughts about the three brands given below.
1. Hathmic Raw Extra Virgin Cold Pressed Coconut Oil
Hathmic packs a punch with this product- it retains most of the coconut’s natural properties and as a bonus, is also edible. The manufacturer has made it sure that they haven’t used any preservatives, and therefore, has a short expiry term.
However, this oil does not only work great for hair growth. It is a multipurpose oil and people use it for cooking, cleaning, as a moisturizer, etc. The brand calls it ‘cold-pressed’ and charges quite a hefty amount as a consequence.
2. Max Care Cold Pressed Virgin Coconut Oil
Max Care surely is one of the crowd pullers to the virgin coconut oil market. Its smell, clarity, and efficiency have found praise from all across the country.
Available at a cheap price tag, the common person finds it affordable. This is amazing coconut oil for baby hair care too. Its efficacy in babycare expands its desirability more. This oil could have taken the top spot if not for the lack of a nozzle on the bottle.
3. KLF Nirmal Virgin Coconut Oil
KLF’s Nirmal VCO is one of the most popular options among virgin coconut oils. It is affordable and is very popular for its role in giving babies oil massages.
The oil is also available in jars of 1 Litre but the most common complaint has been with its packaging, which has led to leakages.
I believe you have now understood that virgin and extra virgin coconut oil are the best coconut oil for hair growth.
With all the original nutrients of coconut retained, with no tarnishing by chemicals or heat, virgin coconut oils provide a new way ahead in the realm of healthcare.
VCO solves issues of hair damage, hair loss, increases hair length, gets rid of lice and dandruff etc. We also looked at three popular VCOs in the market today and provided a well-rounded review of all three.