Life is complicated for mature women. There are many rules about what skincare to use, what clothes to wear to flatter your changing body, and even what makeup looks to gun for when dolling up.
The truth is, there are no rules about makeup even when you’re older. Your golden years are just another opportunity to prove people wrong when they expect you to wither away without taking care of how you look.
One essential makeup product for bringing youthfulness back is the best eyeliner for older women. Golden gals can still be glamorous as long as they have the right tools to achieve that radiance and glow. One of the best ways to do it is by perfecting your eye look.
If you’re looking for the best eyeliner for older eyes, look no further. This list is all you need to bring back that sparkle in your eyes from yesteryear.
15 Best Eyeliners for Women Over 50
1. NYX Professional Makeup Eye Liner
This eyeliner by NYX is easy to handle because of its retractable format. You don’t need to worry about sharpening it; all you have to do is twist up from the slim tube and apply.
This brown pencil liner’s formula is creamy and velvety, so it’s incredibly easy to apply. It glides onto the skin effortlessly and with a light hand.
The color is highly pigmented to provide an excellent, intense payoff that looks natural yet makes all the difference for elevating your eye makeup look. Plus, the formula is smudge-proof and waterproof, so you don’t have to worry about the bold lines melting off.
This eyeliner is quite versatile. You can use it on your lash line, waterline, or even on your lid to create a winged liner look.
Its brown color adds a more natural touch that isn’t overly dramatic and flashy. It doesn’t draw attention to fine lines and crow’s feet, making it the perfect eyeliner for wrinkled eyelids.
- Has a retractable format, so you don’t need to fuss with sharpening
- The formula is creamy and glides onto the skin effortlessly
- Highly pigmented to give you intense color payoff
- Waterproof, smudge-proof, and doesn’t bleed on your skin
- Can be used on your lash line, waterline, or for winged eyeliner
- Natural look that’s suitable for wrinkles
- Can fade throughout the day, so you’ll need to reapply often
If you want a simple, fuss-free eyeliner pencil and can’t be bothered to sharpen your tools, this NYX retractable eyeliner will work fabulously for you. You can use it for simple everyday makeup to more adventurous winged liner looks.
2. L’Oreal Paris Perfect Satin Glide Eyeliner
L’Oreal’s Age Perfect makeup line is designed specifically for mature skin. This eyeliner, in particular, is well-loved because it’s designed for older women who need quick, effective application while still caring for their eyes.
The tip of this eyeliner is creamy, satin-like, and tug-free so that you don’t pull on the skin around your eyes as you apply it. Therefore, the application is extremely smooth and easy.
It’s formulated with non-irritating mineral pigments, making it the perfect eyeliner for older ladies experiencing eye sensitivity at their age.
The brown color doesn’t smudge or transfer to different areas of your skin. The formula is waterproof, too, so you don’t have to worry about it melting off when you sweat or get caught in the rain.
The eyeliner pencil has a rubber grip you can hold on to. This ergonomic design allows for better precision as you line your eyes.
- The tip is creamy and tug-free for smooth and easy application
- Formulated with gentle mineral pigments, making it safe for sensitive skin
- The color doesn’t smudge or migrate to other areas of your skin
- Waterproof, so even sweat and rain won’t wash it off
- Has a rubber grip to give you more control and precision
- The tip is cylindrical and isn’t that sharp, so it’s difficult to draw thin lines
This L’Oreal pencil might be the best eyeliner for mature eyes that are sensitive and easily irritated. It’s formulated for mature eyes and their unique needs without compromising on the top quality all eyeliners should boast of.
3. Rimmel Exaggerate Eye Definer
If you’re looking for a drugstore eyeliner for older skin that is still of superior quality, this Rimmel liner might be just what you’re looking for.
This liner comes in an earl gray shade, which is flattering for more natural looks that aren’t so dramatic. But this eyeliner pencil is intensely pigmented, so its bold, metallic finish will also do great for dramatic looks.
The retractable tip is super convenient. It’s also high-precision, so you can draw soft and fine lines that aren’t too thick. You can also use the built-in smudger at the bottom tip of the eyeliner pencil to blend and fade the color on your eye, making it look smokey.
This eyeliner has a waterproof formula that lasts on your skin for up to 10 hours. It’s also been tested by dermatologists and ophthalmologists for safety, so you can use it on your sensitive eyes.
- Earl gray shade is good for natural looks
- Intensely pigmented to give you a bold, metallic finish
- Retractable with a high-precision tip for soft and subtle lines
- Has a built-in smudger at the bottom tip of the eyeliner pencil for blending
- Its long-lasting and waterproof formula lasts up to 10 hours
- Tested by dermatologists and ophthalmologists for safety
- Darker than some customers expected
Gray is a fantastic eyeliner color for over 50, making this Rimmel eyeliner pencil a godsend for both natural looks and bold glam get-ups that need to last all night.
4. NYX Professional Makeup Jumbo Eyeliner
One of NYX’s most iconic cruelty free makeup products is its jumbo eyeliners. This one in a milky white color is perfect for older women who want to use both eyeliner and eyeshadow.
You can use it like a pencil and draw lines in your lash line, waterline, and even your eyes’ inner corners. It creates a flattering pop of color that brightens your eyes. If you want to use it as an eyeshadow, the application is smooth and creamy because of the big size.
It’s super easy to blend this pencil into your eyelids because of the creamy formula. That makes it wonderful for more intricate eye makeup looks that combine different colors on your eyelids. There’s also less tugging and pulling on the skin than other eyeliners that are hard to work with.
- Doubles as both eyeliner and eyeshadow
- Can be applied in the waterline, lash line & inner corners for a pop of color
- Applies smoothly and creamily on the eyes because of its jumbo size
- Easy to blend into the skin for more intricate eye makeup looks
- Doesn’t tug or pull on your skin
- The liner’s plastic encasement chips off during sharpening
This NYX jumbo pencil is a fantastic eyeshadow and eyeliner for wrinkled lids because of how creamy and flattering the color is. The milky color brightens up your eyes, giving you a young and radiant glow.
5. L’Oreal Paris Makeup Infallible Eyeliner
The most attractive attribute about this L’Oreal eye pencil is its longevity. It lasts for 16 hours on your eyes without budging or smearing, so it’s great for events where you have to look your best.
It has an intense color payoff, making it a no-brainer for bold lines for your eye look. Its creamy formula allows it to apply smoothly and effortlessly, just gliding on the skin without much pressure needed.
This eye pencil has a relatively precise tip, so it’s perfect for both classic, delicate lines and bold and captivating wings or cat-eye looks. This product also has six shades to choose from, so you’re not limited to just one color.
It has a built-in sharpener for a refresh for your eye pencil. The bottom tip also has a smudger to help you smoke out and fade your lines for a sultry look. It can also clean up any mistakes you make on your skin.
- Lasts without budging and smearing on your skin for 16 hours
- Has rich color payoff for bold and dramatic looks
- Glides on the skin with a breezy and effortless application
- Has a precise tip that’s great for classic lines or bold wings
- Six shades to choose from
- Contains a built-in sharpener and smudger for your needs
- The pencil is thin, fragile, and can break during sharpening
This is an outstanding eyeliner for women over 60 who need something long wear when it comes to their makeup. Always have this on-hand if you need 16 hours of smudge-free eye makeup with intense color payoff!
6. Stila Stay All Day Eye Liner
This Stila liquid liner is a holy grail among makeup lovers, young and old. It’s renowned for its fine tip that resembles a felt marker, making it easy to draw lines and wings on your eyelids.
This liquid eyeliner is richly pigmented with its signature jet black color. It applies to your lids smoothly without any skipping or pulling that can damage the skin around your eyes. Because it’s so intense, it’s perfect for bold cat-eye looks and flicked wings for striking glam looks.
The formula dries fast, so there’s no waiting time after you apply your liner. That also lessens the chances of the black liquid running down your cheeks and bleeding into your skin, ruining your makeup look. It’s also waterproof, so it lasts all day without smudging or transferring.
- Has a fine marker tip for easy line and wing drawing on your lids
- Applies smoothly without skipping and tugging at your skin
- Pigmented with an intense jet black color payoff for bold lines and wings
- Dries fast, lessening the chances of running and bleeding
- Waterproof formula that won’t smudge or transfer all day
- Has a shiny finish, which is less flattering than a matte one
Winged liner is a classic look that’s gorgeous on anyone, so don’t let your mature lids stop you from flaunting it. Just use this amazing Stila eyeliner mature hooded eyes are sure to love, and you’ll still enjoy that sophisticated wing no matter your age.
Creams for Hidradenitis Suppurativa
7. Haus Laboratories Eye-Lie-Ner
Lady Gaga is known for her fearless and glamorous looks, so it’s no surprise that her brand’s liquid liner delivers that same boldness and intensity.
This eyeliner has a fine felt tip that is super thin and precise. It’s also flexible and adapts to your hand’s pressure, so it can create lines that are as fine or as dramatic as you wish. It’s also perfect for heavy winged liner, the look Lady Gaga herself often goes for.
The application is smooth and velvety, thanks to its intense black pigmentation that seeps out of the liner beautifully. The color is deep and intense, so it’s flattering on all skin tones and glam styles.
It has a quick-drying formula, so there’s not much waiting time between strokes. It’s designed to be long-wearing and smudge-proof so that your makeup look can stay put and intact all day long.
- Has a precise and flexible felt tip to help you create thin and dramatic lines
- Perfect for heavy winged looks
- Application is smooth and velvety because of intense pigmentation
- The color is deep and black, which complements any skin tone and style
- Quick-dry formula doesn’t require waiting time after application
- Long-wearing and smudge-proof to keep your look intact all day
- Isn’t waterproof, so if you cry or get stuck in the rain, it could melt off
Trust Lady Gaga to come up with an excellent liquid eyeliner for fashionably striking looks at any age. It was created for women of all life stages but is an especially good eyeliner for aging eyes that need quality and pigmentation in their makeup products.
8. Covergirl Perfect Point Plus Eyeliner
This Covergirl eyeliner has a micro-fine tip that allows you to go as precise as you want when it comes to lining your eyes. That makes it fantastic for simple, subtle looks.
It’s very easy to use because the consistency is ultra creamy, making it slide onto the skin quite easily without skipping or pulling at your eyes.
It’s also a very convenient makeup product because it’s built with a unique self-sharpening mechanism. No more bulky, messy sharpeners here—all you have to do is twist the cap lightly to revive your eyeliner.
It has a smudger at the bottom end of the eyeliner to soften and blend your makeup after application. It’s a great way to achieve a smokey look for night events.
The formula is water-resistant, extending your makeup’s longevity—another reason it would go great for all-night wear.
- Has a micro-fine tip to help you draw on the most precise lines
- Consistency is creamy and effortlessly slides on the skin
- Designed with a self-sharpening mechanism
- Has a soft smudger at the bottom end to help soften and blend in eyeliners
- Water-resistant, keeping the eyeliner in place for longer
- The tip can crumble easily, so don’t put too much pressure on it
This Covergirl item makes for a splendid eyeliner for older skin that needs ultra-precise lining and blending. It brings your eyes back to life while securing its position as your new favorite precision liner.
Best Deodorants for Hidradenitis Suppurativa
9. Maybelline Unstoppable Eyeliner
This Maybelline eyeliner is under the Unstoppable line for a reason—it’s waterproof and refuses to smudge, so you can wear it all day long.
One of the best things about it is that it has a flattering matte finish. This is perfect for mature women with oily eyelids because it takes away excess shine.
The eyeliner comes with a self-sharpening cap that you twist to sharpen your pencil. It’s super easy to do and saves a lot of the time it takes to do manual sharpening as you would with other eyeliners.
It’s safe to use on sensitive eyes and was ophthalmologist-tested to ensure that even contact lens wearers can use it without irritation.
This eyeliner set comes with not one but two pencils, so you get amazing value for money when you purchase it.
- Waterproof and anti-smudge, so you can wear it all day long
- Has a flattering matte finish, so it’s perfect for oily eyelids
- A self-sharpening cap eliminates the hassle of manual sharpening
- Ophthalmologist-tested to be safe for sensitive eyes & contact lens wearers
- Provides awesome value for money because you get two eyeliners
- Applies a little too hard, which can tug at the skin
Eyeliner on older eyes can be messy if your lids are oily, but with this matte Maybelline eyeliner, it’s no issue at all. This eyeliner provides everything a trusty liner should, from longevity to safety to bang for your buck!
10. Docolor Waterproof Eyeliner Pen
While Docolor may not be as familiar to you as the bigger brands on this list, it’s way up there when it comes to quality and pigmentation.
This liquid eyeliner boasts a flexible, feather-like fine tip, which aids in creating super precise and delicate lines on your lids.
It has rich and intense jet black pigment that is perfect for ultra-dramatic and scene-stealing looks. The liquid pigment flows out of the pen nicely, leading to smooth and easy application. Because of its top-notch pigmentation, it never skips or requires more than a couple of strokes.
It dries quickly too, and because of its waterproof formula, it doesn’t budge afterward. It can last up to 12 hours on your eyes without smearing or running.
- Has a flexible and fine feather tip for ultra-precise lining
- The jet black pigment is rich and intense—perfect for bold looks
- The liquid flows continuously for smooth application without skipping
- Dries quickly and doesn’t budge afterward due to the waterproof formula
- Lasts up to 12 hours on your eyes without smearing
- The pigment can spread into the creases of your eye, so use this liner sparingly
This intense black Docolor eyeliner is comparable to some of the top brands out there regarding pigmentation. If you’re interested in doing a bold eye makeup look to draw attention to your eyes, this is one of the best choice for you.
11. Physicians Formula Eye Booster Eyeliner
This is a 2-in-1 product that you can use as a regular eyeliner for your bold makeup looks, but also as a serum to nourish your eyelashes. It’s formulated with an innovative boosting complex that promotes your lashes’ volume and length, resulting in fuller-looking lashes.
The liner has a precise brush tip that allows you to create lines as thick or as delicate as you’d like them. It’s flexible and easy to use, so it makes the typically difficult challenge of tightlining the upper lash line a breeze.
In fact, its vivid and ultra-black pigments make it more fabulous for bold and dramatic evening looks.
This eyeliner prides itself on its high-performance formula. It’s water-resistant and smudge-proof, allowing your look to last up to 24 hours without retouching.
- A 2-in-1 product that lines your eyes and conditions your lashes
- Formulated with a boosting complex to amp up volume and length
- Precise brush tip for both bold and delicate strokes
- Flexible and easy to use
- Has vivid, ultra-black pigments that make for dramatic evening eye looks
- Water-resistant formula lasts up to 24 hours without smudging
- The eyeliner can dry up fairly quickly, so make sure to put the cap on
This unique eyeliner and serum combo from Physicians Formula is a godsend if you’ve been frustrated with your limp, lifeless lashes. Get this eyeliner if you want to experience defined liner strokes coupled with luscious lashes.
12. Rimmel Scandaleyes Eyeliner
Pencil eyeliners can be just as rich and pigmented as liquid ones. This Rimmel gel eyeliner is a testament to that because of its out-of-this-world pigmentation and quality.
This gel eyeliner is infused with kohl, a type of powder that makes eyeliners crazy pigmented and intense. It provides the richest and most potent pigmentation for your eyes.
Its creamy gel formula makes it a breeze to apply on the skin. It glides on flawlessly without skipping and creating streaky lines. The black pigment shows up in just one swipe without having to go over the lines repetitively.
This gel eyeliner lasts all day and all night. The formula is smudge-proof, so you don’t have to worry about smearing. It’s also ophthalmologist-tested to be safe for sensitive eyes and those who wear contacts, so you need not worry about irritation.
- Infused with kohl for the best, most potent pigmentation possible
- Its creamy gel formula makes it easy to glide onto your skin
- Provides intensely black color payoff that shows up in one swipe
- Lasts from day to night without smudging and smearing
- Proven to be suitable for sensitive eyes and contact lens users
- Needs careful handling while sharpening to prevent breakage
Try out this gel eyeliner by Rimmel if you want the most intense pigmentation a pencil liner can provide. Plus, it’s suited for sensitive eyes, so it’s safe to use for eyes that are getting more delicate as you age!
13. Maybelline New York Liquid Liner
This Maybelline liquid eyeliner has a fine, felt tip that is long and flexible. It helps you create sharp and precise lines no matter how thick or thin you want them without putting in much effort.
The pigment it provides is black and intense, making it terrific for glam looks that put your eyes at the forefront. It’s fabulous for winged liner or Cleopatra cat-eyes.
The flow of the pigment is continuous, so you never have to deal with patchy strokes. You’ll only ever get smooth and even lines.
Best of all, it’s waterproof. You won’t be caught dead with raccoon eyes even if it’s raining out or you’re sweating on a hot summer day. The eyeliner can stay up to 12 hours on your skin, keeping you looking gorgeously fresh for longer.
- The fine felt tip allows for sharp and precise lines
- Provides intense black pigment for prominent eye makeup
- Great winged and cat eye looks
- Boasts of a continuous flow of pigment for even lines that are never patchy
- Has a waterproof formula that won’t smudge and run
- Can stay for up to 12 hours on your skin for a radiant look
- Dries out in just a few weeks, so it’s best to buy more than one at a time
Maybelline’s liquid liner is another trusty, reliable eyeliner that will always provide bold strokes without smudging. It keeps your eyes looking fresh and fierce all day, bringing back some of that childlike glow.
14. Lancome Le Crayon Khol
This Lancome crayon eyeliner’s color is unique. It’s not as dramatic and stiff as black, but it’s not that typical chocolatey brown either. It’s right in the middle, giving you a sultry and intense look that’s still subtle and natural.
It has a creamy and velvety formula that makes it easy to apply on the skin, even if you have a more mature complexion. It’s forgiving and easy to fix mistakes on crepey eyelids with lots of creases, so you can bet you’ll still get a smooth application on older eyes.
The creaminess makes it easy to blend and smudge for a smokey look, so it’s great for posh events.
The pencil is quite long in size. That means you won’t need to repurchase or replace it often. It may last months and even years in your makeup bag!
- Right in the middle of black and brown for an intense yet subtle eye look
- Has a creamy and velvety formula that’s easy to apply to the skin
- Forgiving on older eyelids with creases because of its smooth application
- It’s a breeze to smudge, fade, and blend for a sultry, smokey look
- The pencil is quite long, so you won’t have to repurchase that often
- Has to be reapplied constantly throughout the day to keep the lines vivid
Lancome is a top-notch luxury makeup brand known for its high-quality beauty products, and this liner doesn’t disappoint. Its velvety formula makes applying it to older eyes super smooth and easy, making it one of the best options for mature women.
What to Look for When Buying Eyeliner for Older Women
- Glides on smoothly onto the skin, so it doesn’t tug at the eyes
The best eyeliner for over 50 should be able to apply smoothly and effortlessly. A creamy formula works amazingly well for this. This is so that your pencil doesn’t tug at your lids and the skin around your eyes.
If it does, it could encourage fine lines and wrinkles to appear. You should be taking care of your skin and be as gentle with it as possible at your age.
- Pigmented for outstanding boldness and color vibrancy
A richly pigmented eyeliner is gorgeous on anyone, but even more on older ladies trying to regain their glamorous self. If your eyeliner is bold and vivid, you won’t have to worry about it fading quickly or looking overly subtle and unnoticeable.
Try looking for an eyeliner that will give great pigment payoff in just one swipe, so you don’t have to apply too much pressure on your skin.
- Lasts all day without smudging and accentuating fine lines and wrinkles
The last thing you want is to go around looking like a raccoon because of heavy smudging around your eyes. Any good eye liner for over 40 years old should be waterproof and smudge-proof.
Having smudges all around your eye could make you look exhausted, accentuating your age. Smearing can also emphasize wrinkles. You want to look put-together at all times, so you need long-lasting pencil liners that won’t fail you.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the Best Eyeliner for Women with Older Eyes
Tons of eyeliners can be considered the best for mature women—it all depends on your skin type and preference.
Eyeliner pencils like the L’Oreal Age Perfect Satin Glide Eyeliner and the NYX Jumbo Eye Pencils provide excellent glide and creaminess, which are much-needed for older, drier eyes.
If you’re looking for a liquid liner, it may be a toss-up between the Stila Stay All Day Liner and the Docolor Waterproof Eyeliner Pen. They’re both intense and pigmented, which is great for bold looks to liven up old and tired eyes.
How Should an Older Woman Wear Eyeliner
There are many ways to apply eyeliner that will suit your age. You can shade your lash line and water line to draw more attention to the eyes without looking too loud and audacious. You could also experiment with subtle flicks of winged liner for a classic, doe-eyed, girly look.
What Color Eyeliner Should an Older Woman Wear
Some of the most flattering eyeliner colors for older women include brown, white, and grays. These colors aren’t excessively bold and flashy and instead provide a natural line to your eyes. They bring out the sparkle and glow without overshadowing the rest of your makeup look.
You could also opt for a colored eyeliner depending on your natural eye color. For example, a matte purple is a fantastic eyeliner color for brown eyes over 50. It makes your chocolate-colored eyes pop!
While black can be too dramatic, it’s still a gorgeous color for winged liner and cat-eye looks. Just make sure that your black eyeliner is waterproof and long-lasting to avoid unfortunate smudging.
How Do You Apply Eyeliner After 50
You should always apply eyeliner slowly and gently if you’re a more mature lady. If you tug on your eye with your liner, you can irritate your skin. Worst case scenario is you may promote the development of more fine lines and wrinkles because of the skin-pulling.
Just because you’re getting older doesn’t mean you should give up on prettying yourself up for fun! Snag the best eyeliner for older women today so that you can show off those bright, bold, beautiful eyes without emphasizing your age.
Makeup is for everyone, so don’t let yourself lag behind. Whether you’re going for a fierce and fiery eye look or a simple everyday lash line swipe, eyeliner is sure to make you and your look pop. Be creative, enjoy glamming up, and bat those beautiful eyes for everyone to admire!